Cartagena has a tropical savanna climate with an average high temperature of 86°F and an average low temperature of 77°F.
- Language: The main language spoken in Cartagena is Spanish and English is very limited but spoken in many larger hotels.
- Currency: The official currency is the Colombian peso. Most areas only accept the peso, but major credit cards are widely accepted.
- Electricity: The standard electricity supply in Cartagena is the same as the US (110 volts) with two-prong outlets.
- Passport/ Immigration: All US citizens must have a valid passport with at least 6 months’ validity when traveling to and from Cartagena.
- Drinking Water: The water is mostly safe, but bottled water is recommended.
- Time Zone: COT- Colombian Time.
- Peak Season: The peak travel season for Cartagena is from December to mid-January and mid-June to July.
- Best Known for: Cartagena is best known for the 6.8 miles of walls built around it by the Spanish.
Things to Do/ Attractions
Walk along the historic city walls or explore the old walled city by horse-drawn carriage. Go sailing or spend the day on a yacht. On the coast between Cartagena and Barranquilla, you can visit small towns and get a taste of what small town life is like while enjoying the beaches at Volcan del Totumo.
For the best cocktails in town, go to El Baron for a Margarita or a Gin Basil Smash.
For clubs, try Tu Candela next to the Torre del Reloj or Fragma for electronic music.
For a great beer, try La Casa de la Cerveza on the walls of the city or just walk down the Calle Arsenal to find a bar that suits.
For salsa, your best option is Cafe Havana. You can try as well the nearby Quiebra Canto.
On Friday or Saturday, Mister Babilla is another great option and a popular destination for backpackers.
All of our clients are met and greeted at the airport upon arrival by our local representatives. We offer expert guidance, personalized service and competitive pricing 24 hours a day. Our primary focus is to offer you support and assistance while traveling so your visit to Colombia is one of the most pleasant and unforgettable experiences of your life.