Santa Marta has a semi-arid steppe climate with an average high temperature of 89°F and an average low temperature of 76°F.
- Language: The main language spoken in Santa Marta is Spanish and English is very limited but spoken in many larger hotels.
- Currency: The official currency is the Colombian peso. Most areas only accept the peso, but major credit cards are widely accepted.
- Electricity: The standard electricity supply in Santa Marta is the same as the US (110 volts) with two-prong outlets.
- Passport/ Immigration: All US citizens must have a valid passport with at least 6 months’ validity when traveling to and from Santa Marta.
- Drinking Water: To be safe, it is recommended to drink and brush your teeth with bottled water.
- Time Zone: COT- Colombian Time
- Peak Season: The peak travel season for Santa Marta is from December to April.
- Best Known for: Santa Marta is best known for its beach sellers.
Things to Do/ Attractions
Take land or sea transport to must-see beaches such as Neguange, Playa Cristal and Concha, surrounded by bays jutting out of the Sierra Nevada’s gnarled jungle cover and palm trees. After seeing all the beaches, experience some waves on your own or with the family by taking surfing lessons. Hike or ride on the back of a motor bike to Pozo Azul, a freshwater waterfall or take a dip at Arimaka waterfall or Las Piedras (The Stones). Check out the old Spanish Colonial architecture by going for a casual walk around the city center.
Santa Marta’s nightlife scene is more on the scale of pueblo than big city. The city doesn’t have a Zona Rosa, or main nightlife district, however there are a bunch of small bars and clubs around Parque de los Novios in Centro, as well as bigger clubs in the upscale Rodadero suburb to the south. If you’re looking to party on the weekends, head for Taganga, which offers several open-air discotheques along the beachfront.
All of our clients are met and greeted at the airport upon arrival by our local representatives. We offer expert guidance, personalized service and competitive pricing 24 hours a day. Our primary focus is to offer you support and assistance while traveling so your visit to Colombia is one of the most pleasant and unforgettable experiences of your life.